Strawberry Simple Syrup
1.5 C washed sliced fresh strawberries or 2 C frozen whole strawberries
1 C sugar
1 C water
A few strips lemon zest (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in medium saucepan over medium-high heat just to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 15 minutes until strawberries soften. Carefully squish berries against the side of the pan as they soften and stir back into the syrup.
- Strain syrup through a fine mesh strainer. To keep the syrup clear, do not press on the cooked fruit and peel.
- Label container with contents and date. Store syrup in refrigerator and use within one month.
- Use the cooked lemon peel: Mince and add to salad dressings, fruit or sauces; muddle in a cocktail; or dry overnight and grind with sugar for lemon sugar.
- Use the cooked strawberries: Spread on toast, add to oatmeal or smoothies. Or do what I (maybe) do: grab a spoon and eat them right out of the strainer. Ahem.