Pan-Seared Soy Maple Radicchio
Bitter and crisp-tender with just enough salty sweetness to soften the chicory bite. Goes beautifully with triple cream cheese on crostini, or piled onto Doenjang Risotto and Japanese Whisky Mushrooms. This radicchio dish was inspired by Eric Kim!
2 heads radicchio, about 22-26 oz total
3 T neutral oil for pan-frying
2 T soy sauce
2 T maple syrup
1 T orange juice
a few good grinds of black pepper
pinch coarse gochugaru (Korean red pepper flakes)
Maldon or other flaked finishing salt
fennel or dill fronds
- Combine sauce ingredients in small bowl and set aside.
- Quarter radicchio lengthwise. Remove core and cut each quarter in half crosswise. Leave sections together; do not separate.
- Heat a large skillet or sauté pan on medium high heat. Add oil, swirl to coat, and add radicchio sections.
- Sear 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown, then turn sections to brown other sides. It’s OK if the sections begin to separate.
- Remove from heat, add sauce ingredients and quickly stir to coat. Place radicchio in serving bowl and garnish with flaked salt and fennel or dill fronds.