Honeybell Tangelo Olive Oil Cake with Whipped Mascarpone
Rich, sweet, tart olive oil cake with candied tangelo slices. Make it extra decadent with citrus whipped mascarpone. See notes for the Blood Orange version.
- Candied Tangelos
198g / 1 cup sugar
240ml / 1 cup water
seeds from 4 cardamom pods, crushed
2 tangelos, organic, sliced as thinly as possible (no thicker than .2 inches)
3 large eggs, room temp
198g / 1 C sugar
.75 teaspoon kosher salt (if table salt, use .5t)
162ml / approx .5 C plus 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
1.5 t vanilla extract
seeds from 8 cardamom pods, crushed
1 T tangelo zest
3 T tangelo juice
159g / approx 1⅓ cup AP flour
.25 t baking soda
.75 t baking powder
- Whipped Mascarpone (optional)
180ml / .75 cup heavy cream
226g / 8 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
pinch sea salt
1 T syrup from candied tangelos
1 t tangelo zest
- Line 9 inch springform pan with large sheet of parchment paper. It won’t look pretty, and the sides will be a bit wrinkled, but try to get them tightly pressed against the cake pan sides without ripping. This cake is rustic and the goal is to contain the candied citrus syrup and cake batter. Place the prepped cake pan on a sheet pan to catch any drips while baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Candied Tangelos
- In 2 quart saucepan, bring all candied tangelo ingredients to a boil except sliced tangelos.
- Add sliced tangelos, pressing gently to submerge, and simmer 20 minutes uncovered. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat eggs, sugar, salt in mixing bowl or stand mixer until light, fluffy and opaque.
- Drizzle olive oil into egg mixture while mixer is running on low.
- Fold vanilla extract, crushed cardamom seeds, tangelo zest and juice into egg and oil mixture.
- Sift flour, baking soda and baking powder over egg mixture and gently fold in.
- Use tongs to remove tangelo slices from syrup, reserving syrup for later. Arrange candied slices, overlapping, on bottom and 2 inches up the sides of parchment-lined springform pan. Drizzle 2-3 T reserved syrup over slices. Carefully pour cake batter over slices, taking care not to disrupt the pieces along the side of the cake pan.
- Bake 50-55 min or until pick comes out clean. While cake bakes, bring remaining syrup to a boil until it thickens and reduces by about one third. If making optional whipped mascarpone, reserve 1 tablespoon of syrup. After removing cake from oven, brush generously with reduced syrup and let cool in pan for at least 20 minutes. It’s best if it cools to room temperature.
- Before serving, release and remove springform sides and peel the parchment paper from the sides of the cake. Carefully invert cake onto serving plate and gently remove the rest of the parchment. Brush with reduced syrup.
- Whipped Mascarpone
- Place all whipped mascarpone ingredients in chilled mixing bowl and whip on high just to stiff peaks. It should be creamy. Do not whip too long or it will begin to separate.
- To serve, place a scoop of mascarpone next to each cake slice and drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
- Blood Orange Version: Use four blood oranges instead of two tangelos / Use 2 T lime juice + 1 T Cointreau instead of 3 T tangelo juice in cake / add 20g additional sugar in cake