Caramel Apple Sour
Caramel apple, maple sugar, bright lemon, and a foamy meringue head.
1 egg white (see note for vegan option)
.5 oz maple syrup (this bottle is from Timber Trails Forest Farm)
.75 oz fresh lemon juice
1 oz Flamed Maple spirit, Hollerhorn Distilling
1 oz South Holler apple brandy, Hollerhorn Distilling
2 dashes bitters (this was a blackberry-wormwood blend but orange or Angostura would work fine here)
- Dry shake (no ice) all ingredients in cocktail shaker 30 seconds. It should be dense and foamy.
- Add ice, shake hard for an additional 30 seconds.
- Strain into chilled coupe or rocks glass. Be sure to get all that delicious foam!
- Garnish with a few drops of bitters on top of the foam if you’d like.
- This little cocktail was made entirely from local-to-us ingredients; even the lemon came from a friend with a greenhouse. If you’re in the Greater Rochester area, it’s worthwhile to track down Hollerhorn’s spirits. If you’re outside their distribution, try a sweeter-tasting 80 proof bourbon instead of Flamed Maple and any high quality apple brandy in lieu of South Holler.
- Vegan/egg-free option: Use 1 ounce aquafaba, the thick cooking liquid from chickpeas, instead of egg white.